Friday , December 15 2017
Home | Health | Woman Dies From Brain-Eating Amoeba

Woman Dies From Brain-Eating Amoeba

A 21-year-old woman has died in Reno, Nevada on June 20th as a result of a brain-eating bacteria. She is believed to have been infected with an amoeba called Naegleria fowleri while swimming in warm water in central California.

For now, there is no threat to the public as the woman contracted the amoeba on private property.

Naegleria fowleri, mostly known as the brain-eating amoeba, thrives in warm bodies of fresh water like ponds, lakes, rivers and hot springs. It also lives in poorly chlorinated or unchlorinated swimming pools in a temporary flagellate state. The amoeba works by attacking the nervous system and brain, almost always resulting in death.

About Emily Hersey

Emily Hersey

Emily is an African Studies and History student who loves reading, the gym, hip hop and horses. If she’s not working on her latest research project, she’s definitely working towards her next trip to South Africa and doing her Master’s degree there.
Contact Emily: emily.hersey@youthindependent.com