Apparently fans and reporters alike don’t listen to what author J.K. Rowling as to say unless it starts with “Harry” and ends with “Potter”.
Stories have been circulating of a brand new Potter story surfacing. Rumors are that the story is, in fact, a prequel to the Potter franchise! However, and this is a big however, only HALF of what I just said is true according to the author herself.
This weekend J.K Rowling took to social media with the big announcement. She made a post on Twitter which read:
“I’m also very excited to confirm today that a new play called Harry Potter and the #CursedChild will be opening in London next year.”
Since the post there have been countless media outlets covering the story but adding in one, false, detail. Stories have claimed that the play, Harry Potter and The Cursed Child, is a prequel to the Harry Potter series.
As soon as Rowling noticed the mistake she posted a Twitter response correcting the error. Unfortunately by that point the false fact was too far out of her reach. She posted again, and again…and again…trying to nip the wrong information in the bud.
After a couple days of trying to exact the truth, she has found the humor in the situation and her posts had gone from trying to amend the mistake to laughing at it outright.
The project is a collaboration between playwright Jack Thorne and director John Tiffany. It will tell a completely new story and in case you weren’t sure…it’s not a prequel!
Some of the best Tweets by the author over the weekend include:
- “#CursedChild NOT a prequel. Lots of people asking, so I thought I’d say that again! NOT a prequel!” – 2:01pm June 26
- “NOT a prequel. Not. A. Prequel. #CursedChild” – 5:05pm June 27
- “I can’t remember whether I’ve mentioned this, but Harry Potter & the #CursedChild isn’t a prequel” – 5:07 June 27
- “Sadly, not a prequel. I thought I’d said that at some point. Anyway. Not a prequel.” – 5:10pm June 27
- “You are getting very warm indeed when you say that it is *possible* that #CursedChild isn’t a prequel.” – 5:12pm June 27
- “Funny, a lot of people are asking that! But no, I can exclusively reveal that #CursedChild isn’t a prequel” – 5:15pm June 27
- “Well, obviously I like to keep things mysterious, so I’ll just say Prequel. A. Not. It’s.” – 5:18pm June 27
- “You’re right, I have been guilty of shameful ambiguity in this matter. It isn’t a prequel.” – 5:19pm June 27
- “Ah, I can see where you’ve got that idea, but in fact it ISN’T a prequel.” – 5:20pm June 27
- “You know what? I’m starting to wonder. Maybe it is.” – 5:21pm June 27
- “IT’S NOT A… oh, will someone else please take over?” – 5:28pm June 27
- “@CNBCWorld It’s not a prequel. It really, really isn’t a prequel. Not a prequel. Not at all prequelly. It is an anti-prequel. #NotAPrequel” – 5:02pm June 28
With that said, everybody keep their eyes open for the #NotAPrequel play coming to London next year called Harry Potter and The Cursed Child!