The annual CFDA Fashion Awards took place yesterday at Alice Tully Hall in the Lincoln Center. The New York City event is all about fashion and design excellence. So you’d think that such a star studded event focusing on fashion would attract great style, right? Wrong.
There was good, there was bad and there was most certainly ugly! I’ll go over a few of the most noteworthy red carpet looks here.
- Maya Thurman- Hawke. She wore black stilettos with her gorgeous Zac Posen dress. It was a rainbow floral print with a sheer, scooped back. The material was light and airy letting her spin on the red carpet and show off all angles of the dress.
- Rachel Zoe. She wore her own design which, to me, just didn’t work. Her dress was an off-white fringe number that looked like an antique lamp shade.
- Ashley Judd. She wore an elegant dress by Badgley Mischka. The gold and cream mermaid dress looked beautiful with her skin tone and the v-neckline was very flattering. The long sheer train at the back of the dress added a regal flare to her already stunning look.
- Amanda Seyfried. I love this girl. I think she’s a natural beauty…but man. That Rodarte dress. It looked like three unfinished different dresses all sewn together. So, I still love you girl, but that dress did you no favors!
- Janelle Monae. She wore Sass and Bide. The white and gold looked INCREDIBLE on her skin! Her hair was absolutely beautiful and matched the structural poncho dress perfectly.
- Shayne Oliver and Binx Walton. Their looks were in Hood by Air…and they certainly made me do a double take. Shayne looked like a BDSM version of a British school boy and Binx looked like a house that’s been TP’d.
- Vanessa Hudgens. She wore Sachin and Babi Noir. With all the bells, whistles and gimmicks on the red carpet it was so refreshing to see a simple, elegant dress. The navy high low dress and sheer black top looked stunning with her pulled back hair.
- Kim Kardashian. I’d be remiss not to mention this dress. She wore a Proenza Schouler dress. I say dress in the loosest sense possible here. It looks like a bird was found in a hardware junk drawer. She’s lucky she’s such a beautiful girl because this dress was something horrendous. If Kanye wanted a trophy wife, he certainly got it yesterday. She had enough metal on her to be a couple trophies! The universe even tried to get rid of this dress! After the red carpet was over…her dress actually caught fire!
- Stacey Bendet. She wore Alice and Olivia. I have to say, this is probably my favourite look of the night. The red pants paired with the black turtle neck and super 70’s vest all worked for her. And the stunning blue cluster necklace brought everything together perfectly!
- Juliet Lewis. She wore a Christian Siriano dress…and while she looked beautiful, it was a bit costume for me. All I could think when looking at it was that she looks like a goose! It made me a bit nostalgic for her role in The Other Sister.
Some other great looks were worn by Kelly Osbourne, Karlie Kloss, CoCo Rocha and Gigi Hadid.
Some other not-so-great looks were worn by Cynthia Rowley, Julianna stistMargulies and Tinashe.
There were some hits, some misses but in the end it got us talking and debating. And after all, that’s what fashion is all about!