Last Februrary, Caitlyn Jenner (who at the time was still ‘Bruce’) was involved in a multi-vehicle crash on the Pacific Coast Highway that lead to the death of 70 year old Kimberly Howe. Howe’s stepchildren had sued Jenner for wrongful death to no avail, and now it looks like Jenner will not be charged either due to lack of evidence.
The Los Angeles distrit attorney claimed on Wednesday that there isn’t enough evidence to charge the 65 year old olympic gold winner with manslaughter or a misdemeanor, and that the office “cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt” that her “conduct was unreasonable,” according to PEOPLE magazine.
“We believed from the start that a thorough and objective investigation would clear Caitlyn of any criminal wrongdoing,” said Jenner’s attorney Blair Berk in a statement. “We are heartened the District Attorney has agreed that even a misdemeanor charge would be inappropriate. A traffic accident, however devastating and heartbreaking when a life is lost, is not necessarily a criminal matter.”
Court papers describe Jenner, while towing her dune buggy, rear-ending Howe’s vehicle and causing it to careen into the next lane where it was struck by another car. Howe had just hit her brakes due to a Prius stopping suddenly before she was unexpectedly nudged by Jenner, who was driving below the speed limit and “minimally slower” than Howe, according to police.
The reality star told Today’s Matt Laurer that she remembers “very little” from the incident earlier this month.
“I remember it happening and that’s about it. A tragedy like this, you’ll never get over it. You just learn to live with it the best you possibly can.” she said.
As for the suit filed by Howe’s stepchildren, Jenner asked the judge to throw it out in May, claiming the family’s connection to the victim doesn’t give them the right to sue for wrongful death. She added that the stepchildren were “not financially dependent upon the decedent for the necessities of life”.